Take these steps to stop your appliances from causing water damage.
While most homeowners associate water damage with stormy weather and flooding, most household water damage is actually caused by everyday appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers, and water heaters. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to prevent your appliance from causing damage to your property. Here are some of the preventative measures that you should take around your home.
- Check for leaks: Check the areas around your appliances for signs of leakage every four months or so. Undetected leaks are one of the worst culprits when it comes to household water damage.
- Check supply hoses: You should also check the supply hoses leading to your appliances to ensure that their connections are water-tight and that they do not show signs of damage. Keep in mind that damage to these hoses may not be visible, so you should replace the supply hoses on your washing machine and dishwasher every five years.
- Avoid running appliances unattended: You should only run your washing machine and dishwasher when someone is at home to monitor things. This way you can stop running your appliance at the first sign of a leak or other malfunction.
- Read manuals: You should read the owner’s manual for your washing machine and dishwasher to ensure that you are using the right detergents and operating your appliances in accordance with manufacturer recommendations. This will reduce the chance of you accidentally damaging your appliances and suffering from water damage.
- Flush your water heater: You should flush out your water heater once a year to remove built-up sediment and other debris. This will keep your home’s water heater functioning properly and will reduce the chances of water damage to your property.
Take these steps to prevent household appliances from causing water damage to your property. Remember, having the right homeowners insurance in place is another way to protect your home, belongings, and loved ones. For assistance with securing the right home insurance to meet your needs, contact the experts at The Schwab Agency in Colleyville, Texas today.