Follow these tips to avoid an accident with wildlife this season.
More than 2 million people are involved in a wildlife collision on the road each year. as the weather continues to drop for fall, more deer and other animals head out onto the road, increasing your chances of being one of those drivers. To help avoid car accident with an animal this season, keep these prevention tips in mind.
- Be careful during dawn and dusk – not only is your visibility decreased during these times, but deer are also much more active during these times. Be especially careful in the early morning and evening hours to help stay safe.
- Look for warning signs – deer warning signs are put up where accidents have occurred in the past, so be careful. Slow down and stay alert when driving through an area that has warning signs.
- Look for more than one deer – deer tend to travel in groups, which means if you see just one deer, there are a few more not far behind.
- Stay calm – while it can be easy to swerve out of the way to avoid a deer, that can actually put you in more danger. Staying alert and slowing down will help to make sure that you avoid collisions with deer this season.
If you do hit a deer while on the road, there are certain steps that you should take to get back on your way as soon as possible, including:
- Call 911 – having a police officer on the scene will help to keep the flow of traffic going in the right direction and will help to remove the deer from the road.
- Don’t touch the animal – even if you think the deer is dead, do not touch it. Stunned and injured animals can seem like they are dead but can cause serious injuries when touched.
Knowing that you have the right amount of auto insurance will help to give you the peace of mind that you deserve this season. Contact The Schwab Agency in Colleyville, Texas for all of your car insurance needs.