Humidity Tips To Keep In Mind
Summer in Texas means one thing – humidity. As the temperatures continue to rise, so does the humidity level, which can make the outside temperatures feel even higher than they actually are. Not only can humidity lead to frizzy hair, but it can also lead to many heat related illnesses. To ensure that you do not fall victim to any heat related illnesses this season, keep these tips in mind.
- Drink more nonalcoholic beverages, no matter how active you are being. Do not wait until you are thirsty to drink. If your doctor has prescribed water pills, make sure to ask how much liquid you should be consuming during the hot weather.
- Avoid liquids that have large amounts of sugar or alcohol since they can cause you to lose more body fluid. You should also try to avoid very cold drinks since they can cause stomach cramps.
- If possible, stay inside in an air conditioned place. If you do not have air conditioning at your house, go to a public library or mall. Even if you only spend a couple hours in an air conditioned area it will help to keep your body temperatures lower when you go back into the heat.
- Wear light weight, loose fitting, light colored clothes both inside and out. Light colored clothes will not absorb as much heat as dark clothing items.
- Do not leave anyone or any pet in a parked vehicle. The temperatures inside a vehicle can be much hotter than the actual outside temperature.
- Even though fans may provide some comfort, they cannot prevent any heat related illnesses when the temperatures reach the high 90s. Instead, take a cool shower or find an air conditioned building.
The Schwab Agency in Colleyville, Texas would like to encourage you to keep these tips in mind to stay healthy and happy this summer.