Renovating your home can be a daunting prospect, but if you have planned it well, it is a rewarding one that adds value to your property as well as enhancing your living space. Before you start, here are a few steps to take:
- Decide what your priorities are for this renovation project. A home office? Guest room? New bathroom? Think in terms of how you will use it.
- Determine a realistic budget and add ten percent for surprises like wiring that needs replacing. Do some research on average project cost.
- Don’t forget to find out how this will affect your homeowner’s insurance policy during construction and after completion. Keep your insurance agent in the loop and ask for advice!
- Hire a licensed professional contractor to plan every detail of your project and go over all those details, including building codes and needed permits.
- Make sure you know what your responsibilities are regarding codes and permits. Inspection rules change, and you don’t want to redo work to meet a new requirement.
- After your home renovation project is complete, talk to your insurance agent about a reappraisal.
Homeowners in Texas can rely on the Schwab Agency to help them with all their insurance needs. Contact us today for a quote.